Aetna Release Train Engineer (RTE) - 66282BR in Chicago, Illinois
Req ID: 66282BR
The Release Train Engineer (RTE) is an Agile Leader and Coach for the HDMS Agile Release Train. RTE is a master of the scrum masters, charged with clearing program level impediments and risks, finding and maintaining the right resources. The RTE s major responsibilities are to facilitate events, enable Agile processes and assist teams in delivering value. RTEs:
Communicate with stakeholders,
impact and seeing the ‘big-picture ,
Escalate impediments through appropriate channels,
Help manage and mitigate risk, and
Drive relentless improvement and maturity of teams.
Help ensure value delivery
RTEs help to ensure comprehension and adherence to the Agile framework while simultaneously recognizing business impact, configuring SAFe to the organization s needs, standardizing, documenting and communicating best practices.
The RTE manages train ceremonies and processes, assisting the train in achieving their commitments by building a trusting and safe environment where problems can be raised, with an emphasis on problem-solving.
Fundamental Components included but are not limited to:
The RTE will facilitate the ART events, release planning, consistent processes improvement, driving ongoing efficiencies, issue and risk management, management escalation and working with other RTEs across Trains. RTE s are accountable for ensuring transparency about the ART s delivery, risks and accomplishments.
• Support preparation for and facilitation of Train meetings and processes, including Agile ceremonies and release planning activities; Facilitate PI Planning readiness via fostering the preparation of Backlogs and via Pre- and Post-PI cross-team and cross-train Planning meetings
• Establishes Program Increments calendar. Plans and facilitates the Program Increment planning event. Aggregates team objectives into Program PI Objectives and publishes for visibility and transparency
• Collaborates with other RTEs for resolving prioritization, conflicts and synchronization.
• Provides direction to the train handling all aspects of program planning, communications, issue resolution, cost tracking, financial planning and reporting
• Coach teams and Scrum Masters in Lean-Agile practices and thinking
• Support Agile coaching activities across program trains to elevate the application of the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe)
• Fosters innovation with practices and frameworks through experimentation to improve program delivery
• Utilizes feedback and metrics (quality, delivery rate, etc.) to identify areas of opportunity and partners with others to coach the program to continuously improve
• Manage and optimize the flow of value through the ART using various tools, such as the Program Board, Kanban Boards and score cards
• Track and report on progress of epic, feature, costs, benefits etc. using appropriate tools (JIRA, etc.) Includes tracking and leading the epic and train budget; understand and operate within the ART Budget.
• Report planning results and epic status to senior management, business owners, epic owners, product owners, and other partners
• Identifies and directs the implementation of process improvements that significantly improve quality across the train, department and/or business unit
• Provides subject matter expertise to team members and applicable internal/external stakeholders on complex assignments/projects
• Manage training and travel budget and spend through forecasting, team allocation and monitoring
• Foster Communities of Practice and the use of engineering and Built-In Quality practices
• Work with Product and Solution Management, Product Owners, and other stakeholders to help ensure strategy and execution alignment
• Lead the Agile Program Management Office (APMO) on program execution and operational excellence
Qualifications Requirements and Preferences:
3 + years of experience with consumer-facing products
3+ years experience with large scale development environment.
3+ years of experience with Agile methodologies; Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe)
Certified SAFe Program Consultant (SPC) and/or RTE certification
3+ years of experience using Agile best practices, i.e., burn-down charts, retrospective formats, defect management, user stories, ATDD, TDD, CI/CD, automated testing, etc.
3+ years of experience working in a large Agile organization using Scrum, XP, Kanban, Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe), or other scaling model
3+ years of experience with Agile collaboration tools such as Jira, Confluence/SharePoint, etc.
Scrum Master certification and/or Product Owner certification
Collaborative, excellent communication, holistic view and systems thinker
Servant Leader Must be able to lead without “Command and Control leadership style
Proactive, problem-solving approach – someone who offers solutions not problems for others to solve
Collaborative style, with the ability to establish working relationships across the senior management team, business units, as well as with external advisors and constituents
Technical aptitude to support program s use of work management and collaboration tools
Strong negotiation and influencing skills
Self-starters, problem solvers; comfortable jumping in as needed to support the Program
Reviews and absorbs data from multiple sources and uses that information to develop insights on program status
Willing to try new things, check and see if they worked, and then change and adapt
Willing to be coachable and open-minded
Has experience delivering a successful transformation from waterfall to Agile
Additional Job Information:
The location is office based in Chicago, IL.
Benefit eligibility may vary by position. Click here to review the benefits associated with this position.
Job Function: Information Technology
Aetna is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veterans status.