Aetna Director, Data Engineering in Hartford, Connecticut
Req ID: 65981BR
It s a new day in health care.
Combining CVS Health and Aetna was a transformative moment for our company and our industry, establishing CVS Health as the nation s premier health innovation company. Through our health services, insurance plans and community pharmacists, we re pioneering a bold new approach to total health. As a CVS Health colleague, you ll be at the center of it all.
Do you have the vision and have an affinity for enabling data-driven decisions with a bias toward action? Do you enjoy the process of breaking down complex data sets and problems into comprehensible and actionable insights? You are in the right place; working with CVS/Aetna gives you just that. CVS/Aetna is looking for a strong leader with a deep knowledge of data engineering to drive the vision of data engineering & analytics strategies for CVS/Aetna. This role will partner with cross-functional areas such as business leadership, data scientist and data engineering to provide the thought leadership to develop solutions that enhance business insights and decision management. This position will lead a data engineering team in defining and assessing advanced analytics programs for CVS/Aetna
Fundamental Components included but are not limited to:
Leads development and execution of highly complex and large scale data structures and pipelines to organize, collect and standardize data to generate insights and addresses reporting needs.
• Leverages broad knowledge of market-leading edge technologies and specialized expertise in programming skills such as Python or Java or any of the major languages to creatively solve highly complex business problems.
• Anticipates and solves highly complex problems with detailed knowledge of multiple programming languages and data infrastructure.
• Designs complex, production systems and creates custom packages using multiple programming languages to solve challenging data engineering problems.
• Acts as a thought leader to provide expert technical consultation to senior IT management strategic planning groups.
• Analyzes current information technology environments to identify and assess critical capabilities and recommend solutions. Designs and modifies components of new and existing IT systems to promote integrated corporate business systems.
• Motivates team members and probes into technical details, and mentors others to do the same.
• Collaborates cross-functionally to build and convert algorithms and models into production systems to support enterprise initiatives.
• Develop frameworks, standards & reference material for architecture and associated products. Provides guidance for enterprise-wide technology roadmap.
• Experiments with available tools and advice on new tools in order to determine the optimal solutions given the requirements dictated by the model/use case.
• Applies knowledge of systems and products to consult and advise on additional efforts across organization/enterprise.
• Impacts the results of a business area, leading others in identifying and resolving complex technical, operational and organizational problems.
• Sets business area priorities, allocates resources and develops plans for multiple related teams. Decisions are guided by the business area strategy.
• Applies best practices and knowledge of strategic objectives. Manages multiple related teams, sets business area priorities, allocates resources and develops plans.
• Leads others in identifying and resolving complex technical, operational and organizational problems. Impacts the operational performance of a business area by implementing and monitoring the business plan. Guided by business area strategy
Qualifications Requirements and Preferences:
• 10 or more years of progressively complex data environment t related experience.
• Has in-depth knowledge of large-scale search applications and building high volume data pipelines.
• Expert experience with bash shell scripts, UNIX utilities & UNIX Commands. Expertise in Java, Python, Hive, Cassandra, Pig, MySQL or NoSQL or similar.
• Expert knowledge in Hadoop architecture, HDFS commands and experience designing & optimizing queries against data in the HDFS environment.
• Expert experience implementing complex, enterprise-wide data transformation and processing solutions.
• Strong problem-solving skills and critical thinking ability.
• Superior collaboration and communication skills within and across teams.
• Superior ability to communicate technical ideas and results to non-technical clients in written and verbal form.
• Proven ability to leverage multiple tools and programming languages to analyze and manipulate large data sets from disparate data sources and build innovative solutions
• Mster s degree or PhD preferred. Bachelor s degree or equivalent work experience in Computer Science, Engineering, Machine Learning, or related discipline.
Benefit eligibility may vary by position. Click here to review the benefits associated with this position.
Job Function: Data & Analytics
Aetna is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veterans status.