Aetna Large Group Underwriting Tech (Public & Labor) in Hartford, Connecticut
Req ID: 47088BR
Be part of our mission to change the health care system and help people live healthier lives our Medical Underwriting team in Public and Labor New Business has an opportunity for a Underwriting Technical Lead on the team in Hartford, CT. As Underwriting Technical Lead, the individual will support Aetna's ability to achieve its financial and strategic goals through effective underwriting. Underwriting support primarily includes identifying, evaluating, and managing risk in order to maximize revenue, membership and earnings. The individual will be responsible for handling large Public and Labor New Business opportunities as well as training and mentoring less experienced members of the team. S/He will work on high profile New Business RFP's that drive meaningful membership and revenue for the organization and provide expert consultation to our field partners around products, pricing and strategy. In addition, the candidate will be expected to participate in project work and work with management to drive efficiencies across the organization.
· Serves as a consultant for field sales and account management on strategic, complex, or highly visible cases.
· Identifies risks and recommends appropriate measures to manage risks while growing or retaining membership.
· Calculates complex renewal and prospective group rates using solid product knowledge and underwriting protocols.
· Grants underwriting exception and financial variances within prescribed dollar limits.
· Negotiates and fully explains rate development, pricing components, and application of underwriting policies.
· Presents information to employers and brokers in support of business rating practices.
· Ensures the quality and integrity of account-specific data and information released to the sales force.
· Utilizes advanced functionality of rating/financial tools, reference materials, and source systems for premium, membership, and claim information.
· Trains, mentors, and/or assists less experienced underwriters in development of their technical skills.
· Identifies team training issues and recommends an appropriate course of action.
· Leads process improvement initiatives.
· Reviews the work of junior level staff.
· Acts as back up to Underwriting Unit Leader.
· Extensive (7+ years) experience in medical underwriting pricing methodologies and funding arrangements, ideally the candidate will have experienced with fully-insured and self-funding arrangements.
· Demonstrated analytical and independent thinking skills.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Demonstrated leadership skills.
· Must be able to communicate effectively with all levels of management.
· Ability to use standard corporate software packages and corporate applications.
The highest level of education desired for candidates in this position is a Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
Functional - Underwriting/New business - group medical/7-10 Years
Functional - Underwriting/Pricing methodologies (manual, experience, blended, alternate, etc.)/7-10 Years
Leadership/Collaborating for Results/ADVANCED
Leadership/Developing and Executing Strategy/FOUNDATION
General Business/Demonstrating Business and Industry Acumen/ADVANCED
Finance/Delivering Profit and Performance/ADVANCED
Flexible telework / office-based schedule may be considered after training is completed.
ADDITIONAL JOB INFORMATION
Interested in an Underwriting opportunity at Aetna? Join one of our upcoming virtual office hours with an Underwriting recruiter!
Tuesdays from 12:30 – 1:15 PM EST
Click here to registered http://bit.ly/2BnzZqp
Aetna is about more than just doing a job. This is our opportunity to re-shape healthcare for America and across the globe. We are developing solutions to improve the quality and affordability of healthcare. What we do will benefit generations to come.
We care about each other, our customers and our communities. We are inspired to make a difference, and we are committed to integrity and excellence.
Together we will empower people to live healthier lives.
Aetna is an equal opportunity & affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of personal characteristics or status. We take affirmative action to recruit, select and develop women, people of color, veterans and individuals with disabilities.
We are a company built on excellence. We have a culture that values growth, achievement and diversity and a workplace where your voice can be heard.
Benefit eligibility may vary by position. Click here to review the benefits associated with this position.
Aetna takes our candidate's data privacy seriously. At no time will any Aetna recruiter or employee request any financial or personal information (Social Security Number, Credit card information for direct deposit, etc.) from you via e-mail. Any requests for information will be discussed prior and will be conducted through a secure website provided by the recruiter. Should you be asked for such information, please notify us immediately.
Job Function: Underwriting
Aetna is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veterans status.