Aetna Sr Underwriting Consultant - 50510BR in Toronto, Ontario
Req ID: 50510BR
Negotiates and explains the application of more complex underwriting concepts, rate/fee development and policies. Produces accurate and timely deliverables while providing superior customer service in support of stated mission and key performance metrics.
• Handles complex cases/markets/issues using strong knowledge of company services, product standards, underwriting policies and alternate funding
• Grants underwriting exceptions and financial variances within prescribed limit
• Will interact/meet with customers, brokers and consultants
• Works across Aetna's segments/markets to achieve goals
• Negotiates and fully explains rate development, pricing components and application of underwriting policies while remaining conscious of financial objectives
• Provides timely and accurate deliverables for new and/or renewal business, e.g., accountings, funding evaluations, benefit quotations
• Monitors financial condition of assigned accounts, e.g., case migration, renewal pricing, premium defaults, and deficit reductions
• Utilizes advanced functionality of rating/ financial tools, reference materials, and source systems for premium, membership and claim information
• Analyzes competitive position on a case specific basis and develops financial comparisons
• Recognizes opportunities for process improvements and recommends changes
• Assesses customer needs and expectations versus company capabilities/ strategies
• Mentors less experienced underwriters in development of technical skills
• Builds strong cross-functional relationships with sales force and other internal constituents
• Fosters open lines of communication on team and uses effective oral and written communication skills
3-5 years of pricing experience via all types of pricing methodologies (manual, experience, blended, alternate, etc.) and funding arrangements. Proven ability to anticipate customer needs. Proven ability to facilitate and negotiate using tact and diplomacy. Proven ability to build strong cross-functional relationships with sales force and other internal organizations.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience is required.
Functional - Underwriting - Rating methodologies and/or functions (rating and accounting)/4-6 Years
Functional - Underwriting - Pricing methodologies (manual, experience, blended, alternate, etc.)/4-6 Years
Functional - Underwriting - New business - group medical/4-6 Years
Functional - Underwriting - Alternate Funding arrangements/4-6 Years
Functional - Underwriting - Renewal - group medical/4-6 Years
Technical - Desktop Tools - TE Microsoft Excel/4-6 Years/End User
Technical - Desktop Tools - Microsoft Outlook/4-6 Years/End User
Technical - Desktop Tools - Microsoft PowerPoint/4-6 Years/End User
Technical - Desktop Tools - Microsoft Word/4-6 Years/End User
Additional Candidate Information:
Aetna is about more than just doing a job. This is our opportunity to re-shape healthcare for America and across the globe. We are developing solutions to improve the quality and affordability of healthcare. What we do will benefit generations to come.
We care about each other, our customers and our communities. We are inspired to make a difference, and we are committed to integrity and excellence.
Together we will empower people to live healthier lives.
Aetna is an equal opportunity & affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of personal characteristics or status. We take affirmative action to recruit, select and develop women, people of color, veterans and individuals with disabilities.
We are a company built on excellence. We have a culture that values growth, achievement and diversity and a workplace where your voice can be heard.
Job Function: Underwriting
Aetna is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veterans status.